Friday, June 25, 2010

Wooden Magnets

Last Thanksgiving, we were in my mother-in-law's house. She had some wood rectangle magnets that my little boy loved. He thought it was so great that he could stick something to the fridge then take it back off.
 

I decided that I would make a set of magnets to give him at Christmas. I didn't take step-by-step pictures so here's a basic list of how to make these magnets:
1. Find some stickers that you want for your magnets.
I found some I liked from Hobby Lobby. The dinosaurs and vehicles are Karen Foster stickers (Dinosaurs #10646, Little Boy #10600). The zoo animals are WeR (Wild Things 60702-1).
2. Draw some shapes on paper that will fit your stickers.
3. Cut (or have a nice husband cut) out the wood shapes.
4. Sand the shapes. Fill in any gouges or marks with wood filler and sand again.
5. This step is probably optional, but I sealed the wood.
6. Paint the wood in colors that coordinate with the stickers.
7. Put your stickers on the blocks. Apply 2-3 coats of Mod Podge glue.
8. If your child is still in a "put this in my mouth" stage, try applying a few coats of polyurethane. This has helped protect the ones we made.
9. Add magnets with a strong glue. I used E6000. I had pretty weak magnets, so I had to put two on the big ones.
Voila. Kids love them. Now to make that magnet board I've been planning for his bedroom...

No comments:

Post a Comment