Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Family Tree Pillow

In case you missed it over at So You Think You're Crafty, here is my audition project:
I've added in some extra info.  It's written in blue.

Family is very important.  I love to integrate our family legacy into the designs we have around the house. This family tree pillow is a fun way for family and friends to learn more about a family's 'roots' when they come over.

I first made a family tree pillow for my grandpa for father's day.  This is the one I made for him.
A month ago, my father-in-law,passed away.  At his funeral, they planned to have a display table of memories.  I've been in the family for five years, but I didn't really feel like a had a tangible offering to display. I felt like a pillow would be a good way to both show a memory and become one.

I went through about three failed ideas before this pillow worked.  I used the Silhouette program because I thought I would cut the tree out of iron-on vinyl.

Sadly, the letters were WAY too small to cut.

It had taken me a long time to adjust the tree and get it to look right, so I stayed with the Silhouette design, but decided to switch to printable iron-on stuff. I could print the words, but still cut out the tree.  

Sadly, the store bough transfer iron-on stuff would not only cut, but broke my Silhouette machine blade.  

On to attempt three.  I bought "colorfast" printable fabric.  I wasn't as excited about the look, but it worked.  At that point, I was willing to make concessions in design.
 
The tree and words are printed on color safe printable fabric, then outlined with hand stitched embroidery.  
I think adding piping gives an updated and finished look.
I love that this idea is completely customizable to most decor styles by using different fonts, fabrics, or graphics.  I have plans to make one for each of my children's rooms so they can always know where they come from.  I just have to figure out how to fit the name "Mahonri Moriancumur Stapley" up in those tiny branches.  Hah!

Thanks to those of you who clicked over and voted.  Season 9 starts in a week or two, so you'll be seeing more from me soon.







1 comment:

  1. I saw this project on sytyc- I loved it, great idea. (The poofs you won with this week were also really cute!) I've been doing some genealogy research, maybe when I'm done I'll make some of these for my family as gifts.

    Good Luck next week!

    ReplyDelete